Junction Box Enclosure

This week's assignment was a throw back to week one, in that I essentially built a flash light. I started by going to home depot in bed stuy. I really wasn't sure what I was looking for, so I perused the electrical and plumbing sections. That's where I found these:

series

I had found a great, loud, toggle switch that I had pulled from the junk shelf so its aesthetics fit perfectly with the enclosure. I also figured that I would lasercutsn acrylic lid to use as a light diffuser.

I started by taking measurements. I'm not the best at drawing but here is a photo:

series

I then measured my switch with some digital callipers, and thought about how I would drill through metal. In class we used a step down bit on the drill press, however I thought it would be best to get familiar with the bits on the floor.

As I'm writing this, I realize that I have forgotten the name of the bit I used. But at any rate I used this mysterious bit to drill a switch sized hole in my junction box. On my first attempt I ended up punching out one perforated sides of the box:

series

So I got some wood and clamped it to the box's wall in order to secure it.

After I got the hole cut, I built my circuit. Here is a photo:

series

It was late and I did a sloppy job hot gluing the LED strip to the wood. I regret that.

After I finished the actual enclosure, I decided to lazer cut some acrylic. I found that one piece of acrylic was not enough to diffuse the light, so I needed to double up. Unfortunately by that time the lazer cutter was booked full. As of right now I can't get on to the laser cutter, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Here are some pictures of the finished enclosure with the acrylic glued on.

series series series

Written on October 13, 2015